Director, Patient Advocacy
Voyager Therapeutics is looking for a creative, energetic, compassionate, and clinically oriented person to manage programs, communications, and organizational relationships in patient advocacy. This individual should be committed to supporting active programs and clinical development efforts within Voyager by building collaborative relationships with foundations and patient organizations. The role will report directly to the CMO and will work closely with multidisciplinary teams.
The successful incumbent will establish and maintain strong relationships with key patient organizations that will provide:
- Insight into unmet clinical needs, attitudes toward and understanding of gene therapy and route administration.A keen understanding of patient experience of current medical care including costs and barriers to treatment
- A collaborative approach to implementation of Voyager’s preclinical and clinical stage programs, and potential commercialized products
- An understanding of patient experiences broadly and specific perspectives on Voyager clinical studies.
- Develop and implement a patient advocacy strategy that will support all stages of development in collaboration with key functions including clinical development, regulatory, commercial, medical affairs, market research and communications teams.
- Develop and implement educational and outreach programs to inform and engage Voyager staff and build strong working relationships with patient groups across the organization.
Develop and maintain strong relationships with key patient groups, foundations, and non-profit organizations, in the US and targeted international markets.
- Work with relevant Voyager teams to build partnerships and initiatives with these organizations to support development efforts. These may include:
- Epidemiology studies
- Natural history studies and patient registries
- Biomarker development
- Recruitment and retention efforts in clinical studies
- Product profile development
- Education and communications strategy
- Patient advisory board planning and implementation
- Recruit and develop Patient/care giver, opinion leaders to lead and build patient support groups and communities both online and off-line.
- Contribute patient/provider perspectives in preparation and planning of clinical studies, regulatory efforts, and other relevant initiatives within Voyager.
- Build involvement of organizations in regulatory and advocacy efforts as appropriate.
- Maintain and expand Voyager’s network of patient opinion leaders.
- Coordinate internal Voyager events and education efforts regarding disease knowledge and patient perspective.
- Maintain outreach efforts to connect with new organizations, including those relevant to new and/or potential programs and to broader areas relevant to Voyager’s mission.
- Manage company commitment to organizations, including event sponsorships, employee involvement, and communications around ongoing organizational initiatives.
- BA/BS degree in science or health related area. Degrees in medicine (MD), nursing (RN), public health (MPH), relevant advanced degree (PharmD, PhD), or significant relevant experience as a genetic counselor or similar medical professional are strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 7 years in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology or healthcare industry required, with demonstrated ability to cultivate and manage strong relationships with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills.
- Demonstrated strategic and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to interact externally and internally across functions to support the clinical, scientific, and business strategy.
- Ability to exercise judgment and address complex problems to create solutions across multiple stakeholders with varying interests and perspectives.